Summary of Risk Factors
HPS Corporate Lending Fund ("HLEND") is a non-exchange traded business development company ("BDC") that expects to invest at least 80% of its total assets (net assets plus borrowings for investment purposes) in private credit investments (bonds and other credit instruments that are issued in private offerings or issued by private companies). This investment involves a high degree of risk. You should purchase these securities only if you can afford the complete loss of your investment. You should read the prospectus carefully for a description of the risks associated with an investment in HLEND. These risks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- We have limited operating history and there is no assurance that we will achieve our investment objectives.
- This is a "blind pool" offering and thus you will not have the opportunity to evaluate our investments before we make them.
- You should not expect to be able to sell your shares regardless of how we perform.
- You should consider that you may not have access to the money you invest for an extended period of time.
- We do not intend to list our shares on any securities exchange, and we do not expect a secondary market in our shares to develop prior to any listing.
- Because you may be unable to sell your shares, you will be unable to reduce your exposure in any market downturn.
- We have implemented a share repurchase program, but only a limited number of shares will be eligible for repurchase and repurchases will be subject to available liquidity and other significant restrictions.
- An investment in our Common Shares is not suitable for you if you need access to the money you invest. See "Suitability Standards" and "Share Repurchase Program" in the prospectus.
- You will bear substantial fees and expenses in connection with your investment. See “Fees and Expenses” in the prospectus.
- We cannot guarantee that we will make distributions, and if we do, we may fund such distributions from sources other than cash flow from operations, including, without limitation, the sale of assets, borrowings, return of capital or offering proceeds, and we have no limits on the amounts we may pay from such sources. A return of capital (1) is a return of the original amount invested, (2) does not constitute earnings or profits and (3) will have the effect of reducing the basis such that when a shareholder sells its shares the sale may be subject to taxes even if the shares are sold for less than the original purchase price.
- Distributions may also be funded in significant part, directly or indirectly, from temporary fee waivers or expense reimbursements borne by HPS or its affiliates, that may be subject to reimbursement to HPS or its affiliates. The repayment of any amounts owed to our affiliates will reduce future distributions to which you would otherwise be entitled.
- We use and continue to expect to use leverage, which will magnify the potential for loss on amounts invested in us.
- We qualify as an "emerging growth company" as defined in the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act and we cannot be certain if the reduced disclosure requirement applicable to emerging growth companies will make our Common Shares less attractive to investors.
- We intend to invest primarily in securities that are rated below investment grade by rating agencies or that would be rated below investment grade if they were rated. Below investment grade securities, which are often referred to as "junk" have predominantly speculative characteristics with respect to the issuer's capacity to pay interest and repay principal. They may also be illiquid and difficult to value.
- We do not own the HPS name, but we are permitted to use it as part of our corporate name pursuant to the investment advisory agreement between HLEND and HPS Investment Partners, LLC (together with its affiliates, "HPS"). Use of the name by other parties or the termination of the use of the HPS name under the investment advisory agreement may harm our business.
Neither the Securities and Exchange Commission nor any state securities regulator has approved or disapproved of these securities or determined if this prospectus is truthful or complete. Any reference to the contrary is a criminal offense.
This sales material must be read in conjunction with the HLEND prospectus in order to fully understand all the implications and risks of an investment in HLEND. This sales material is neither an offer to sell nor a solicitation of an offer to buy securities. An offering is made only under HLEND's registration statement filed with the Securities Exchange Commission and only by means of the prospectus, which must be made available to you prior to making a purchase of shares. Investors are advised to carefully consider the investment objectives, risks and charges and expenses of HLEND before investing. A copy of the prospectus containing this and other information about HLEND and can be obtained from the SEC's website at www.sec.gov and at www.HLEND.com. You are advised to obtain a copy of the prospectus and to carefully review the information contained or incorporated by reference therein before making any investment decision, including the "Risk Factors" section therein, which contains a discussion of the risks and uncertainties that we believe are material to our business, operating results, prospects and financial condition. At this time, the information in the prospectus (or Statement of Additional Information) is not complete and may be changed.
Limited Operating History. The Fund is a non-diversified, closed-end management investment company that has elected to be regulated as a BDC with limited operating history. As a result, prospective investors have limited track record or history on which to base their investment decision. There can be no assurance that the results achieved by similar strategies managed by HPS or its affiliates will be achieved for the Fund. Past performance should not be relied upon as an indication of future results. Moreover, the Fund is subject to all of the business risks and uncertainties associated with any new business, including the risk that it will not achieve its investment objective and that the value of an investor's investment could decline substantially or that the investor will suffer a complete loss of its investment in the Fund.
The Adviser and the members of the Investment Team have no prior experience managing a BDC, and the investment philosophy and techniques used by the Adviser to manage a BDC may differ from the investment philosophy and techniques previously employed by the Adviser, its affiliates, and the members of the Investment Team in identifying and managing past investments. In addition, the 1940 Act and the Code impose numerous constraints on the operations of BDCs and RICs that do not apply to the other types of investment vehicles. For example, under the 1940 Act, BDCs are required to invest at least 70% of their total assets primarily in securities of qualifying U.S. private companies or thinly traded public companies, cash, cash equivalents, U.S. government securities and other high-quality debt investments that mature in one year or less from the time of investment. The Adviser's and the members of the Investment Team's limited experience in managing a portfolio of assets under such constraints may hinder their respective ability to take advantage of attractive investment opportunities and, as a result, achieve the Fund's investment objective.
Numerical data is approximate and as of March 31, 2022 unless otherwise noted. The words "we", "us" and "our" refer to HLEND, unless the context requires otherwise.
Forward Looking Statement Disclosure
Certain information contained in this document constitutes "forward looking statements," which can be identified by the use of forward looking terminology such as "may," "will," "expect," "intend," "anticipate," "estimate," "believe," "continue" or other similar words, or the negatives thereof. These may include our financial projections and estimates and their underlying assumptions, statements about plans, objectives and expectations with respect to future operations, and statements regarding future performance. Such forward‐looking statements are inherently uncertain and there are or may be important factors that could cause actual outcomes or results to differ materially from those indicated in such statements. HLEND believes these factors include but are not limited to those described under the section entitled "Risk Factors" in its prospectus and any such updated factors included in its periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC") which will be accessible on the SEC's website at www.sec.gov. These factors should not be construed as exhaustive and should be read in conjunction with the other cautionary statements that are included in HLEND's prospectus and other filings.
Except as otherwise required by federal securities laws, we undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise.
Additional Important Disclosures
This material was not created by any third party registered broker dealers or investment advisers who are distributing shares of HLEND (each a "Dealer"). The Dealers are not affiliated with HLEND and have not prepared the material or the information herein.
Investments mentioned may not be suitable for all investors. Any product discussed herein may be purchased only after an investor has carefully reviewed the prospectus and executed the subscription documents.
Alternative investments often are speculative, typically have higher fees than traditional investments, often include a high degree of risk and are suitable only for eligible, long-term investors who are willing to forgo liquidity and put capital at risk for an indefinite period of time. They may be highly illiquid and can engage in leverage and other speculative practices that may increase volatility and risk of loss.
Opinions expressed herein reflect the current opinions of HPS as of the date appearing in the materials only and are based on HPS's opinions of the current market environment, which is subject to change.
Stockholders, financial professionals and prospective investors should not rely solely upon the information presented when making an investment decision and should review the most recent prospectus, as supplemented, available at www.sec.gov or www.HLEND.com.
Certain information contained in the materials discusses general market activity, industry or sector trends, or other broad based economic, market or political conditions and should not be construed as research or investment advice.
Further, opinions expressed herein may differ from the opinions expressed by a Dealer and/or other businesses affiliates of a Dealer. This is not a "research report" as defined by FINRA Rule 2241 and was not prepared by the research departments of a Dealer or its affiliates.
Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Actual results may vary. Diversification of an investor's portfolio does not assure a profit or protect against loss in a declining market.
Alternative investments may involve complex tax structures, tax inefficient investing and delays in distributing important tax information. Individual funds have specific risks related to their investment programs that will vary from fund to fund. Prospective investors in HLEND should carefully read HLEND's prospectus for more information. HLEND does not provide any tax or legal advice and none of the data provided herein should be construed as investment, tax, accounting or legal advice.
Prospective investors should consult their own tax, legal and accounting advisors with respect to the tax consequences to them of investing in HLEND in light of their particular circumstances.
Interests in alternative investment products are distributed by the applicable Dealer and (1) are not FDIC insured, (2) are not deposits or other obligations of such Dealer or any of its affiliates, and (3) are not guaranteed by such Dealer and its affiliates. Each Dealer is a registered broker dealer or investment adviser, not a bank.
Certain countries have been susceptible to epidemics or pandemics, most recently COVID 19. The outbreak of such epidemics or pandemics, together with any resulting restrictions on travel or quarantines imposed, could have a negative impact on the economy and business activity globally (including in the countries in which HLEND invests), and thereby could adversely affect the performance of HLEND's investments. Furthermore, the rapid development of epidemics or pandemics could preclude prediction as to their ultimate adverse impact on economic and market conditions, and, as a result, present material uncertainty and risk with respect to HLEND and the performance of its investments or operations.
The contents of this communication: (i) do not constitute an offer of securities or a solicitation of an offer to buy securities, (ii) offers can be made only by the respective offering documents which are available upon request, (iii) do not and cannot replace the offering documents and is qualified in its entirety by the offering documents, and (iv) may not be relied upon in making an investment decision related to any investment offering by the issuer of the securities, or any affiliate, or partner thereof ("Issuer"). All potential investors must read the offering documents and no person may invest without acknowledging receipt and complete review of the offering documents. With respect to any “targeted” goals outlined herein, these do not constitute a promise of performance, nor is there any assurance that the investment objectives of any program will be attained. All investments carry the risk of loss of some or all of the principal invested. These "targeted" factors are based upon reasonable assumptions more fully outlined in the offering documents for the respective investment opportunity. Consult the offering documents for investment conditions, risk factors, minimum requirements, fees and expenses and other pertinent information with respect to any investment. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. All information is subject to change. You should always consult a tax and/or finance professional prior to investing. Issuer does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information contained herein. Thank you for your cooperation.
Securities offered through Emerson Equity LLC Member: FINRA SIPC. Only available in states where Emerson Equity LLC is registered. Emerson Equity LLC is not affiliated with any other entities identified in this communication.